When I got the IBM7RF PDK the first time, I was astonished by such many zip files as shown below. I don’t know what each of them means. I check those files inside them and read some manuals and I understood the AM-Base-kit.zip and AM-Kit-Patch.zip that I should focus on. Other zip files are used for different EDA tools.
1st, I copy the AM-Base-Kit.zip into my Linux Download and unzip it into the /home/XX/IBM folder. Open the IBM directory and read the README.KIT.INSTALL file as shown below.
1) Change directory to a temporary installation directory.
2) Extract the tar archive: tar -xvf (i.e. kit tar file name)
All files will be located in your current directory.
3) Execute “kit_install”
The script will:
– prompt for your destination directory
– confirm your distribution file directory
– list the available packages that were included in the shipment
– prompt for which package(s) you want to install
– ask if the “rel” link should be set up for release number
The “rel” link is a symbolic link to the current release number.
This is useful for PATH statements, but it is not required.
– ask for final confirmation and then install the packages in
Then I mkdir IBM_PDK and follow the steps to kit-install the PDK into the /home/XX/IBM_PDK. Next step, I need to copy the cds.lib, .cdsinit, .cdsenv, display.drf into the IBM_PDK directory. And edit the libraries in the cds.lib. And if you are familiar to the skills of cadence virtuoso, you also need to comment the SKILLS in the .cdsinit.
Now you have installed the PDK successfully. You can follow the video to use the PDK. Please don’t forget to attach the technology file into your design library. In IBM7RF PDK, you have seven different technology files. Each one is used for different number of metal layers. For example, if you want to use 7 layers of metal, you have to attached to techfile7.asc (/IBM_PDK/cmrf7sf/V188.8.131.52AM/cdslib/cmrf7sf).
After that, you can use the models for IC design. Now we also need to think about how to use the Calibre and how to install the AM-Kit-Patch.zip.